Whiskers
Whiskers
My wetsuit clings to my body, mermaid-scale-like,
Core-selkie assimilating, I enter the clear
waters off St Martin’s -
I thought I'd feel cold, but this second skin’s
absorbing my sensory fears,
Maybe this is how they feel when they enter the
water too?
Their heads bob to the surface like curiosity-corks
At ours doing likewise,
As my daughters peer at our new-found pod from our
Isles of Scilly rib.
My mask on securely
I lower my face into the turquoise-blue,
Where Neptune’s other-worldly wonders
Open out their depths to greet me, like his
Salacia.
Herein waves a vast, beautiful kelp-green
shimmering forest.
The mask feels alien now, like an octopus
With suckers over my nose and mouth.
A tube with which to breathe above the surface
from below, bubbles -
"Don't suck the water in" the
instructor reminds us,
"Keep your head above the water and
gradually descend";
It is in this descent that freedom resides -
To breathe underwater with them,
Share the same space,
Face to face,
No mask for them, just whiskers.
Puppy-dog eyes on your seal-pup face
So close, so close,
A rush from my heart, I move aside
And forget not to suck in the gasp
As salt-water fills my mouth.
Post-splutter, I hang in the water mimicking
the sleek foliage around me
(if one can be sleek at my age...)
The tube saving me from myself.
I watch as you turn gracefully to come back
around
To swim with me again;
To rise through my feet to my (not unlike)
seal-belly
Swiftly ascending to cross my (heart-in-mouth) chest
Our two hearts just a heartbeat away.
Mottled grey skin touches wetsuit-skin
And momentarily we are one.
In our dance of an embrace,
You pour your innocent essence into my shipwrecked-soul's
vessel
To sail with me forever,
A photographic message in a bottle,
Filling me with Attenborough-esque magic.
As your wild yet gentle whiskers brush softly against
my masked face
You seem to whisper "breathe...remember to
breathe".
I learn from you,
And in my deepest moments of depression,
Remember our intimate encounter;
You were there, so close,
Swimming into my selkie-psyche -
Your trustingly, smooth, dark pearl-round eyes
mirroring our deep
Reciprocal need,
To save each other
From drowning.
A Wensley
Jawbone Journal 4 Submission version 18/9/2026
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Previous version notes:
9.05.2026
Produced at today's Jawbone Workshop 'Personal Mythologies' with Rebecca Danicic
Inspired by a true encounter with seals just off St Martin's in the Scilly Isles in 2017.
Comments
Post a Comment